The Answer Guy Online

Providing information to unwitting victims on a "don't-need-to-know" basis since 1974.

Friday, October 04, 2002

Friday night, and here I am again.

It's like this when I work. Long hours, not enough sleep, too tired to go out much or to blog much.

One of my readers requested I discuss the writings of John Stuart Mill, whom I have not read since freshman year in college. I promise sometime soon I will get to a really interesting pop culture question posited by Brian.

I think I'm going to take a respite from political musings for the next week or so, since I imagine some of you are tired of reading long, rambling political analyses.

But before I do that..my favorite shouted slogans from the anti-war rally and march last Sunday I attended....
"Dick Cheney, Dinosaur - We don't want your oil war!" (Heard at Dupont Circle, and elsewhere)
"Exxon Mobil, BP, Shell / Take your oil war - go to hell!" (Heard on Mass Ave @ 24th St NW)
"We all live in a military state / A military state / Military state"
(Sung to the tune of the Beatles' "Yellow Submarine," as cops encircled marchers in front of the British Embassy)

And the best poster slogans...
"War - Bush's Weapon of Mass Distraction"
"Axis of Oil - Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld"
"We Need Regime Change In Washington"
"George W. Bush - #1 Threat To World Peace"

There was of course lots of "Hey-hey-ho-ho-[blank] has got to go!" and "1-2-3-4 We don't want your [blank] war!" chanting as well. They're a tad uncreative at this point, so I figured I'd give props to the above in contrast. Another thing the crowd sang was the chorus of Edwin Starr's "War."

By the way, for some reason, "War" is extremely effective in dislodging bad songs that get stuck in one's head. I was able to use it today to remove Air Supply's "All Out Of Love" (piped into a supermarket I in which I was shopping early this afternoon on lunch break) for which I was thankful. Props to my friend Rick G. for that discovery.

Well, bedtime calls, dear readers....


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home