The Answer Guy Online

Providing information to unwitting victims on a "don't-need-to-know" basis since 1974.

Monday, March 24, 2003

That's Entertainment

I was 13 for 24 in my Oscar picks - which is a lot better than my March Madness picks.

It was the reverse of last year, where I did well with the big stuff and lousy on the minor awards. I had great luck with the bottom of the ballot, not so much near the top, other than "Chicago" as Best Picture, which was kind of a gimme. I did call Chris Cooper and Catherine Zeta-Jones in the Supporting categories, so I got half the Big Six.

I don't think many had Polanski down as Best Director. I considered Kidman but went with Julianne Moore instead, thinking she wasn't going to beat Zeta-Jones (who, like I said, stole "Chicago" from Renee Zellwegger) and she wasn't going home empty-handed. Brody came as a complete surprise to me - the complete unknown usually does not win a leading role Oscar, and people will still be talking about Daniel Day-Lewis' character in "Gangs of New York" for years to come.

I had bet on "Pianist" being this year's "Color Purple." It turns out that "Gangs Of New York," which apparently I liked more than anyone else anywhere in the universe, was this year's "Color Purple."

Thanks in part to the war updates, the ceremony ran long, although the absences of Eminem (a surprise Best Song winner for "Lose Yourself" from "8 Mile") and Roman Polanski, and the quick hook thrown at Michael Moore all contributed to shortening the running time.

It was great to see Kirk and Michael Douglas onstage for the end, and to see how kind time had to been to Olivia de Haviland, and to such previous honorees as Rita Moreno, Julie Andrews, and Paul Newman. It was also good to see that the fashion excess were largely absent this year, I'm sure in due in large part to the somber atmosphere.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home