The Answer Guy Online

Providing information to unwitting victims on a "don't-need-to-know" basis since 1974.

Wednesday, July 23, 2003

9 to 5 (I Wish)

Quick observations from my brief respites from an unusually dull work assignment...

* I had a craving for a Chicken Mozzarella sandwich at Au Bon Pain. So I went to the nearest one I knew of to my work site, about two blocks away. Turns out there were actually two Au Bon Pain locations that were closer. I'm not sure if that says more about me, Au Bon Pain, or the way that certain chains are just unbelievably saturated here. At this point, it might be physically impossible to throw a rock in the District of Columbia (or at least the parts west of the Anacostia River) without hitting a CVS.

* I picked up a flyer from the first Falun Gong demonstrator that I saw on the street, and held the little yellow piece of paper as an immunity talisman against all of the other people handing out Falun Gong flyers. (For those who don't know, Falun Gong is a Buddhist spiritual movement that centers around a series of exercises. For whatever reason, the Chinese government is very much against practicing Falun Gong; an official Chinese state television news broadcast I heard tried to portray it as a sort of "Scientology for Buddhists." Who's right? I trust neither masses of identically-clothed people in yellow T-shirts handing out flyers nor Chinese government propaganda.)

* The day I forget my umbrella is the day the sky opens up and I have to walk for 20 minutes in one of the most intense downpours I have ever seen. I think I would have been dryer if I had somehow fallen into the Potomac River instead. I considered streaking, but I think I'm going to save that for if/when the Red Sox win the World Series.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home