The Answer Guy Online

Providing information to unwitting victims on a "don't-need-to-know" basis since 1974.

Tuesday, December 09, 2003

Fashion

Well, Abercrombie & Fitch killed its catalog. Which might lead to guys spending slightly less time "trying on clothes" in the fitting rooms.

As you all know, I'm no Bible-thumper, but every time I looked at the thing it made me a bit queasy.

Of course, I spent a lot of that time thinking to myself "I thought the point of models was to show off the clothes. These models look mostly unclothed to me. Any article of clothing, whether from A&F or Wal-Mart, would look good crumpled up next to my bed, having just been removed from the body of one of these really attractive models. What value could Abercrombie clothing possibly add to this scene? What difference does it truly make?"

Or perhaps I'm just weird, because I wonder what exactly it is about most of these beer commercials that makes me want to drink more lousy domestic beer.

And I'm not exactly the target audience for either A&F or, say, Coors Light.

Anyway, I have some A&F clothing that dates from the brief period of time that my younger sibling worked there, mostly as gifts from him. The Employee Discount knocked the price of these items down to a semi-reasonable level, and it was sort of nice to have a few articles of clothing that made it easy to blend in with the college undergrads who surrounded me at quiz bowl tournaments. (As much as a law student who put up 60+ points/game could truly "blend in.")

But there were quite a few things I didn't know back then.

One thing my younger sibling left behind when he moved away from home was a copy of the Employee Manual.

My thought throught reading it was "Good Lord, these people are just asking for a racial discrimination lawsuit." For attorneys, this thing would rate highly on the Unintentional Comedy Scale. Sure enough, the lawsuits came fast and furious.

And that was before they came up with a line of T-shirts with hurtful racial caricatures from the turn of the last century.

And even before that, management there treated my brother like crap.

Wearing A&F clothing for me now is sort of embarassing.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home