The Answer Guy Online

Providing information to unwitting victims on a "don't-need-to-know" basis since 1974.

Wednesday, December 24, 2003

If I were going to make a mix CD of Christmas songs...here's my Top 5 essentials...

Elvis Presley, "Blue Christmas"
Beach Boys, "Little Saint Nick"
U2, "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"
Joni Mitchell, "River"
John Lennon, "Merry XMas (War Is Over)"

Random Notes:
* Yeah, I like the U2 rendition of "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" better - seems more immediate and direct than the Phil Spector "Wall of Sound" approach taken by the original.
* The Willie Nelson version of "Blue Christmas" works just fine too.
* "River" isn't entirely a Christmas song, but it makes numerous references to the holiday, and drops in a bar from "Jingle Bells."
* I usually cringe at covers of the Lennon song, particularly the Neil Diamond version.

And a few things I never need to hear again...
Paul McCartney/Wings, "Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time"
Mariah Carey, "All I Want For Christmas," or, for that matter, anything else by Mariah Carey.
Those damn dogs singing "Jingle Bells."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home