The Answer Guy Online

Providing information to unwitting victims on a "don't-need-to-know" basis since 1974.

Friday, March 19, 2004

Bracket Update #2

OK, so I'm 19-5 through the first 24. What's frustrating that someone who picked straight chalk (i.e. all favorites) currently leads at 22-2. (However, this person had one of his losses - Michigan State - going a long way, so it's not like I'm in danger of falling out of contention.)

It's not that I'm picking lots of upsets that aren't happening based on either hype or sentimental attachment, either. Of the two "big" (i.e. a double-digit seed winning) upsets that have occurred thusfar, I did call Manhattan over Florida, failed to call Nevada over Michigan State, and picked one major upset (Western Mich over Vanderbilt) that failed to materialize. I'm 0-for-3 on the 8-9 games that have happened thusfar.

If I ever run a pool again, I'm assigning bonus points for upsets; I failed to do this year since I was afraid it would be a nightmare to administer. I thought that going with a 2-3-4-5-8-10 system rather than a 1-2-4-8-16-32 or 1-2-3-4-5-6 system would make people less conservative with their picks (not to mention making ties more unlikely) but it has not done so.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home