The Answer Guy Online

Providing information to unwitting victims on a "don't-need-to-know" basis since 1974.

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Letter Unsent

Yeah, what appears below is pretty vitriolic. I am no diplomat and no politician, just an ordinary citizen blessed with an inquisitive nature, a big vocabulary, and a strong sense of what is just and what it not. At times, I wished I posessed less of these gifts, for they have often brought me only sadness and despair where I might have otherwise been content. Hence, the exercise in catharsis that lies below, that will prove once and for all that I have no place in American politics.

Dear President Bush:

I accept that you have prevailed in the recent election with a majority of the vote of the American people, and that the Republican Party has earned to right to lead the way in governing our nation for the forthcoming years. Whatever sense it may have made to question your status as a legitimate head of state vanished yesterday.

Though your policy preferences are light years from mine, and it is my belief that numerous Republican policy initiatives will lead to one disaster after another for the American people, that is not really the reason I am so angry today.

I noticed that in your acceptance speech, you said "To make this nation stronger and better, I will need your support and I will work to earn it. I will do all I can do to deserve your trust."

But I think I speak for many Kerry voters when I say that you can spare us your ritualistic conciliatory words. These wounds will not heal so easily, and your pleasantries ring as hollow to these ears as so many premature exit poll results.

I know very well that you will not work to earn my trust - I am not as gullible as your strategists have told you I am. I am not as credulous as Dick Gephardt or Tom Daschle, whose political careers now lie in ruins.

In my eyes, you will always be the man who did more than anyone else to divide us in two, to impugn our motives, to call us weak, to make us on the left as much the enemy of so-called "real Americans" as Osama bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, or any foreign nation or enemy. Your campaign demonized my native state as being something less than American in a way your opponent would not dare do of your home state; I am prouder than ever to hail from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the birthplace of American Revolution, despite the rhetorical slings and arrows thrown our way by the likes of your Vice President, Mr. Cheney.

Determined not to treat you the way your supporters treated President Clinton, I reserved judgment when you first assumed the office of President. I was displeased with the way you governed in a highly partisan manner in your early months in office, but after the tragedy of September 11, 2001, I held out the hope that you would keep our nation together through those trying times. And yet the struggle against global terror was turned into partisan talking points and an excuse for a series of initiatives and policies that had nothing to do with combating global terrorism.

Strategically, it has worked well for your side, but it does not come without the costs, one of which is the eternal suspicion of millions of Americans of your every last move and motive. I place no stock in your administration's economic projections, budget figures, pronouncements on foreign or domestic policy, or your terrorist alerts.

You have abused the trust I gave you too many times, you have lied and misled the American people too many times on matters of critical importance, for me to even consider accepting your gestures of consolation. If you were tell me that the sun would rise in the east tomorrow morning, I would be up at the crack of dawn to make sure you were speaking the truth. You have forever lost any chance at my support.

I will never trust you again, Mr. President. Never. I will go to my grave, secure in the belief that you are a dangerous, corrupt, incompetent leader, and that, at some level, my nation still, even after all of this, deserved at least a little better.

There. I said it. Now The Answer Guy Online is going into political hibernation for at least a month.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home